Posted on: 20th October 2020
Once upon a game...
A brand new studio rewriting the rules of the untapped niche of fitness gaming. They’re combining software and hardware to deliver a totally new experience: deep, compelling gaming, high-intensity exercise, zero compromises.
This studio has a strong social mission to make exercise exciting for the millions of people who hate it today. They believe in gaming without guilt.
Having secured VC funding from some of the biggest names in Europe and the US, the founders are building out their core team. They're looking for gaming experts who want to go on this journey with them, bringing the mission to life and building fitness gaming as an industry in its own right.
This is your opportunity to be part of a project with global ambitions from the very start; in just 3 months they have sold over $600K of preorders and raised millions in investment, but there are still many crucial product decisions to be made. You would be a key part of laying the foundations.
The role you play...
Joining the team as Art Director you will be taking full ownership of game art on their launch title, in which players will get fit by playing fully immersive fantasy games.
What your week might look like...
• Building a full visual asset pipeline from 2D to 3D
• You will be working alongside the Studio Lead, establishing milestones and objectives
• Responsible for defining a visual identity of the game
• Showing a consistent passion for building games
• You will be in charge of a small team
• Constantly dealing with a fast-paced, ever-changing environment with confidence and success
What we are looking for...
- Successfully shipped games from start to finish
- A versatile portfolio
- Interest in building a stylised and timeless aesthetic. Think Breath of the Wild, Sky & Journey...
- Experience working with Unity
- Expertise in 3D, experience with 2D
- Expert with either Maya, Blender or 3DSMax
- Strength in character art
- Experience managing teams (internally and outsourced)
- Experience setting and holding the artistic direction
- Experienced in shaders / technical art
- IDEALLY: experience with procedural generation
- IDEALLY: experience in animation
- IDEALLY: experience working in startups
What your week will look like...
• Work with Studio Lead to define artistic direction, set milestones and objectives
• Manage outsourced art team and help to build team internally
• Leading and motivating the art team to realize overall goals and deliver a successful project on time
• Creating critical game-ready art content
• Tracking and approving completed art assets from the team
• Collaborating with Lead Programmer to brainstorm technical ideas and solutions
• Defining the look and feel of the characters within the game
• Responsible for establishing the art production pipeline and enforcing the process throughout the project cycle
• Be solution focussed rather than problem focussed
• Help test the visuals with the user and act as the creative voice of the players
• Mentoring and serving as a technical and creative resource for the team, assisting in the resolution of complex problems, and helping them grow in their roles
What you can look forward to...
• Discounted bikes: You can save up to 25%+ through their cycle-to-work scheme
• Negotiable equity
• Free books: they will add anything you need to their library
• Flexi working policy / WFH policy
• The studio works on a zero ego basis. Anyone can come up with fantastic ideas and everyone is listened to
• The opportunity for personal growth, consistent feedback that focuses on building up your strengths rather than targeting weaknesses
• Design-led development. The team believes good products create good businesses, not the other way around
• Outcome focus, not hours focus