Posted on: 19th January 2023
About the Studio
Join a AAA studio responsible for some of the most inspiring storytelling seen in the gaming industry in the last years. With multiple Game of the Year and BAFTA nominations endorsing its outstanding work, this studio not only collaborated with one of the most inclusive, thought-provoking video game series during the 2010s.
It is also doing joint work with one of the most legendary story-based studios on its brand revival and developing the first game that brings a cherished science-fiction property to the video game space.
The company continues to expand, looking for accomplished storytellers and inspirational team leaders to join its 100+ employee roster. Will you help shape the next classic story in gaming?
Responsibilities and Requirements
As a Lead Game Designer, you will collaborate with the Game Director to devise a shared vision for the game that merges gameplay and storytelling in a perfect balance.
- Understand the needs of our players and ensure the gameplay contributes to an engaging, memorable playing experience.
- Collaborate with the Story team to balance narrative and gameplay needs.
- Work closely with the Art team to craft visually compelling visual adventures that support gameplay nicely.
- Involve yourself in prototyping and designing game levels and systems
- Develop creative strategies and overcome creative challenges
- Protect the game’s core vision, coherently answer the team’s questions, and be receptive to the team’s ideas
- Provide thoughtful feedback, help with reviews and troubleshooting sessions
- Be a passionate leader every day, mentoring gameplay and level designers to create the most innovative experiences possible
- Senior-level experience in the console/PC industry
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Physics, Graphics, Math, or equivalent
- Passionate about creating gorgeous, optimised visuals
- Superb 3D math and linear algebra skills
- Mastery of C++ and shader programming languages
- Comprehensive knowledge of the latest shading and lighting techniques
- Be a driven, motivated personality that wants to make great games
Bonus skills include:
- Comprehensive knowledge of at least one industry-leading engine, ideally Unreal Engine 4
- Familiar with several editors and scripting languages
- Acquainted with the particular needs of adventure games
- Have shipped at least one narrative adventure game
- Mastery over non-linear narrative systems and structures
- Previous experience in puzzle design, especially in the context of narrative adventures
Benefits and Perks
Although this is a fully remote role, it still has all the benefits you would expect in an on-location job.
- Competitive salary depending on experience
- Generous vacation time and paid parental leave
- Health insurance for you and your family at a low cost to you
- Dental and Vision insurance for you and your family at NO cost to you
- Life and Disability benefits at NO cost to you
- Optional Flexible Spending Account (including Healthcare and Limited Purpose),
- Dependent Care Account and Health Savings Account available
- Optional Supplemental Health and Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan with an Employer Match
- Growth opportunities for your career
At Haptic, we know that people-first recruitment is fundamental to our success. We work closely with talented candidates and innovative studios to offer the best opportunities and build the most promising teams.
Operating on the belief that a studio’s strength comes from the team they build to bring their ideas to life, we are committed to assembling the most talented, diverse game makers.
As part of this pledge, whenever you apply for a job with us, one of our specialist recruiters will support you through each stage. From introductions and interviews to accepting an offer and submitting your resignation, we’re always here to help.