Posted on: 11th May 2023
About the Studio
Founded by veterans of the PC modding scene almost ten years ago, this video game studio has only one thing in mind: to develop the most realistic, thrilling tactical games in the marketplace. Carefully blending historical accuracy, large-scale battles, and teamwork tools and priorities like few other games have, this developer has landed three impressive, compelling multiplayer war simulation games on Steam.
Now, this company is using their broad experience in tactical first-person shooters to develop a new game for a cherished science-fiction IP that will surely bring nostalgic feelings to its audience. Will you lead the charge and bring the fight to their enemies’ homes? Service warrants citizenship!
Responsibilities and Requirements
- Working with the Project Lead to oversee the Game Design of an upcoming licensed PvE multiplayer game.
- Overseeing the creation of game/technical design documentation.
- Overseeing the work of the design team when it comes to conceiving features, gameplay mechanics and game balancing.
- Facilitate communication between designers, producers, artists, and engineers to ensure design vision and process are clearly defined and understood.
- Identifying design solutions to evolve game meta and shape the overall user experience.
- Interpreting playtest feedback and disseminating actionable items to the design team.
- Being the bridge between the design and programming teams when it comes to interpreting design requirements for game features.
- Able to drive and follow up on prototyping with other game designers and programmers.
- Active development towards improving the stability of the game through debugging and optimizing game logic/behaviour.
- Working with team members to support and share knowledge of UE4 features/tools.
- Encourage creativity through sharing ideas and creating content with team members.
- Strong experience in designing gameplay mechanics and features.
- Has at least 1 shipped title in a senior game designer capacity.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Works well within a creative fast-paced team.
- Ability to take and provide constructive feedback.
- Experience developing and maintaining a live product.
The following bonus skills are also desirable:
- Experience using UE4 Blueprints.
- Experience with source control software (Perforce).
- Experience with task management software (Jira).
- Interest in military tactics and strategy.
- Mentoring skills to enable the growth of young up-and-coming design talent.
- A champion eager to celebrate and share the achievements of their team and the studio.
- Self-motivated problem solver and solution-finder that removes roadblocks for their team.
- Roll-up the sleeves mentality with the ability to work on the small day-to-day details of game production to the big-picture and long-term goals and deadlines on the same day.
Benefits and Perks
This studio is a fast-paced and dynamic place to work. Although based in Canada, their distributed development model allows them to work remotely within North America. By choosing to work with this studio, you will have the opportunity to:
- Competitive salary
- Health and dental benefits
- Wellness spending account
- Retirement savings plan
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Three weeks of paid vacation and two weeks of paid studio shutdown over the December holiday period
- Wonderful colleagues!
At Haptic, we know that people-first recruitment is fundamental to our success. We work closely with talented candidates and innovative studios to offer the best opportunities and build the most promising teams.
Operating on the belief that a studio’s strength comes from the team they build to bring their ideas to life, we are committed to assembling the most talented, diverse game makers.
As part of this pledge, whenever you apply for a job with us, one of our specialist recruiters will support you through each stage. From introductions and interviews to accepting an offer and submitting your resignation, we’re always here to help.