Posted on: 11th May 2023
About the Studio
Founded by veterans of the PC modding scene almost ten years ago, this video game studio has only one thing in mind: to develop the most realistic, thrilling tactical games in the marketplace. Carefully blending historical accuracy, large-scale battles, and teamwork tools and priorities like few other games have, this developer has landed three impressive, compelling multiplayer war simulation games on Steam.
Now, this company is using their broad experience in tactical first-person shooters to develop a new game for a cherished science-fiction IP that will surely bring nostalgic feelings to its audience. Will you lead the charge and bring the fight to their enemies’ homes? Service warrants citizenship!
Responsibilities and Requirements
As Lead Technical Artist, you will set the standards for the studio’s Art team to develop and flesh out the visual style of their games while keeping the technical bar as high as possible. You will outline all tools, processes, and pipeline criteria, bridging the gap between artists and programmers to keep the game’s assets and optimisation to their best. Your responsibilities are as follows:
- Working closely with the art director and art leads to drive the artistic vision of our games.
- Spearhead the creation of art pipelines and the development of new techniques
- Overseeing the design and maintenance of tools to help artists create content
- Provide hands-on support for artists and engineers to validate performance and standards
- Review creative processes and identify opportunities for improvements
- Solve challenging technical issues in the 3d asset pipeline
- Create and optimise shaders in UE4’s node system as well as HLSL
- Establish visual goals for each project in coordination with project leadership and guide the game teams towards those goals
- Coordinate with Game Programming leads for optimisation opportunities
- Minimum of 5 years experience in technical art-related disciplines
- Having shipped at least 1 title in a senior or lead management role.
- Previous experience with industry-standard game development software
- A wide range of skills and knowledge related to 3d art pipelines, shaders, and optimisation
- Previous experience with lighting and post-processing
- Self-motivated and proactive
- Positive attitude, genuine team player
- A great ability to think creatively and solve complex technical issues
- Robust mentoring skills to enable the growth of young up-and-coming art talent
- Knowledge of a code language (C++ preferred)
The following bonus skills are also desirable:
- Expert in shader and tool development/maintenance, including HLSL, blueprint, and UE4 shader nodes
- Experienced in modelling and art tools/pipelines (Maya, 3DS Max, Photoshop, Substance)
- Knowledge of procedural tools and programs (Houdini, World Machine)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with technical documentation and write new documentation for developed tools and shaders
- Experience developing custom tools and scripts for content creation tools
- Previous experience with landscape pipelines and/or skybox art
- Passion for video games and extensive knowledge of different games across many genres and platforms
- Understanding of the studio’s realistic visual style and a passion to push it to the next level
Benefits and Perks
This studio is a fast-paced and dynamic place to work. Although based in Canada, their distributed development model allows them to work remotely within North America. By choosing to work with this studio, you will have the opportunity to:
- Competitive salary
- Health and dental benefits
- Wellness spending account
- Retirement savings plan
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Three weeks of paid vacation and two weeks of paid studio shutdown over the December holiday period
- Wonderful colleagues!
At Haptic, we know that people-first recruitment is fundamental to our success. We work closely with talented candidates and innovative studios to offer the best opportunities and build the most promising teams.
Operating on the belief that a studio’s strength comes from the team they build to bring their ideas to life, we are committed to assembling the most talented, diverse game makers.
As part of this pledge, whenever you apply for a job with us, one of our specialist recruiters will support you through each stage. From introductions and interviews to accepting an offer and submitting your resignation, we’re always here to help.