Posted on: 23rd February 2023
About the Studio
If you have always been into small, daring video game teams with big ideas, there is no better opportunity than this! It’s your turn to take the spotlight and join the ranks of a North American studio responsible for one of the great indie hits of recent years and one of the best Soulslike games ever done.
The distributed development model of this studio allows it to hire people remotely. Comprised of AAA veterans, they are proud this model has allowed them to work with the best talent worldwide. Now that they’re developing their second game, they want you to join the fray!
Responsibilities and Requirements
As a Senior Level Designer, you will be responsible for prototyping and contributing key ideas to the overall feel and play of the game. You will work closely with the Design team to design and build a unique world/level structure and macro level flow which merges the game’s narrative beats and gameplay.
- Translate narrative and gameplay goals into level layouts using 2D maps, diagrams, and documentation
- Wield the power of UE5 to whitebox and iterate on environment art layouts, place game objects, and use Blueprints to script level progression
- Deeply collaborate with artists, designers, programmers, and other disciplines to craft the vision for your levels and bring them to life
- You will own the levels you are working on, identify the next steps, work with the team to create schedules, and facilitate communication across disciplines to guarantee the quality of your levels from inception to completion
- Apply your knowledge of level-creation pipelines to define and constantly improve our approach to level creation
- You will be trusted to work autonomously with minimal supervision, proactively identifying areas of improvement and taking initiative to present opportunities and solutions across your levels
- Contribute to design discussions and provide feedback on all aspects of the game
- 3+ years of experience working on games, with at least one AAA title shipped
- Ability to work autonomously, without micromanagement but still deliver on goals
- Previous experience taking a game from concept through to launch and being able to contribute to the core of the early design loop
- Solid understanding of level design principles, such as level flow, pacing, macrostructure, engagement, and environmental storytelling to build spaces that support combat, traversal, and narrative
- Solid understanding of the interplay between systems and 3D spaces; ability to take a system or enemy class and build levels that highlight it in novel and creative ways
- Ability to understand and craft a player’s emotional journey through a level
- Able to analyse and thoughtfully critique 3D spaces
- Understanding of Unreal Engine’s level editor and level streaming/world partition systems, or related experience
- Experience with Unreal Engine Blueprints or alternative scripting languages to script level progression and event choreography
- Passion for and understanding of Character Action titles
Benefits and Perks
Although this is a fully remote role, it still has all the benefits you would expect in an on-location job.
- Unlimited time off program.
- Typical holiday observance. The company shuts down on holidays.
- Medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage
- Disability protection (short- and long-term) and traditional and Roth 401(k) plan options.
- Health Advocate and EAP
At Haptic, we know that people-first recruitment is fundamental to our success. We work closely with talented candidates and innovative studios to offer the best opportunities and build the most promising teams.
Operating on the belief that a studio’s strength comes from the team they build to bring their ideas to life, we are committed to assembling the most talented, diverse game makers.
As part of this pledge, whenever you apply for a job with us, one of our specialist recruiters will support you through each stage. From introductions and interviews to accepting an offer and submitting your resignation, we’re always here to help.