Posted on: 18th January 2023
About the Studio
Join a AAA studio responsible for some of the most inspiring storytelling seen in the gaming industry in the last years. With multiple Game of the Year and BAFTA nominations endorsing its outstanding work, this studio not only collaborated with one of the most inclusive, thought-provoking video game series during the 2010s.
It is also doing joint work with one of the most legendary story-based studios on its brand revival and developing the first game that brings a cherished science-fiction property to the video game space.
The company continues to expand, looking for accomplished storytellers and inspirational team leaders to join its 100+ employee roster. Will you help shape the next classic story in gaming?
Responsibilities and Requirements
As a Senior Technical Artist, you will help define the look and feel of an unannounced AAA single-player adventure game currently in development. You will work closely with our Art Leads, Technical Directors, and QA to ensure that all the assets fit technical specifications and constraints within Unreal Engine.
- Code shaders for materials, effects, and cutscene-specific animations
- Optimise features to fit hardware performance constraints
- Implement shaders and material pipelines following the content teams’ needs
- Devise tools to improve the Art team’s daily workflow, with a focus on the material pipeline, and test them before deployment — ensuring they work correctly through each stage of production
- Maintain easy-to-follow documentation for the Art and Programming teams
- Assist in profiling, optimisation, and support for the Art team’s content creators, both on PC and console
- Own and maintain production pipelines and workflows
- Curate and optimise the project’s shader library
- Mentor and coach other Technical Artists within the team
- 5+ years of experience as a Technical Artist working on Image Quality, Shaders & Materials, Lighting, Post FX, Rendering, Performance, and/or Pipelines
- Superior knowledge and interest in all of those game development areas
- Comprehensive understanding of at least one of the following: Substance Painter, Substance Designer, Blender, Maya, Houdini
- Prior experience with shaders, lighting, and rendering systems
- Skilled at shader architecture and material libraries for all products and their supporting workflows and pipelines
- Familiarity with game art pipelines
- Comprehensive knowledge of real-time game content and the requirements for these to be efficient and high-quality
- Highly proficient in shader authoring and languages, e.g. HLSL or graph-based editing
- Direct experience with one or more of the following: creating or polishing surfacing assets, implementing or tuning lighting or prototyping and implementing rendering features
- Previous experience with the 3D asset development pipeline, e.g. sculpting, modelling, rigging, animation, and its related workflows
- Current-generation console development experience (PS4, XB1)
- Prior experience with game editors and engines
Bonus skills would include:
- Programming skills in relevant languages, such as HLSL/GLSL, C++, Python
- Previous working experience in Unreal Engine or Unity
- Comprehensive knowledge of 3D art or tech (rendering) background in video games
- Skilled at profiling, e.g. RenderDoc, PIX
- Code quality skills, such as data structures and optimisation
- Comfortable with linear algebra
Benefits and Perks
Although this is a fully remote role, it still has all the benefits you would expect in an on-location job.
- Competitive salary depending on experience
- Generous vacation time and paid parental leave
- Health insurance for you and your family at a low cost to you
- Dental and Vision insurance for you and your family at NO cost to you
- Life and Disability benefits at NO cost to you
- Optional Flexible Spending Account (including Healthcare and Limited Purpose),
- Dependent Care Account and Health Savings Account available
- Optional Supplemental Health and Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan with an Employer Match
- Growth opportunities for your career
At Haptic, we know that people-first recruitment is fundamental to our success. We work closely with talented candidates and innovative studios to offer the best opportunities and build the most promising teams.
Operating on the belief that a studio’s strength comes from the team they build to bring their ideas to life, we are committed to assembling the most talented, diverse game makers.
As part of this pledge, whenever you apply for a job with us, one of our specialist recruiters will support you through each stage. From introductions and interviews to accepting an offer and submitting your resignation, we’re always here to help.