Posted on: 19th January 2023
About the Studio
Join a AAA studio responsible for some of the most inspiring storytelling seen in the gaming industry in the last years. With multiple Game of the Year and BAFTA nominations endorsing its outstanding work, this studio not only collaborated with one of the most inclusive, thought-provoking video game series during the 2010s.
It is also doing joint work with one of the most legendary story-based studios on its brand revival and developing the first game that brings a cherished science-fiction property to the video game space.
The company continues to expand, looking for accomplished storytellers and inspirational team leaders to join its 100+ employee roster. Will you help shape the next classic story in gaming?
Responsibilities and Requirements
As a Technical Animation Artist, you will collaborate with the Art Team and the Artistic and Technical Animation Director to produce high-quality rigging and skinning for our games, mainly on facial rigging. An ability to jump into the unknown and think outside the box to overcome artistic and technical challenges is paramount for this role.
- Own the rigging and skinning processes to ensure the Animation team’s standards are met
- Devise and implement tools to deliver the best possible results and incorporate those seamlessly into the existing pipeline
- Set and maintain rigging pipelines and standards and character dynamics between Maya and Unreal Engine
- Collaborate with the Animation team to improve and simplify the characters’ control rigs
- Liaise with the Art, Animation, Mocap, and Production teams
- Export characters from Maya and set them up in Unreal Engine, ensuring the final result meets the project’s artistic requirements
- Support the Art team with their technical needs and solve any content creation pipeline issues
- Mentor other technical artists and provide feedback as needed
- 5+ years of experience in Technical Art or similar disciplines
- Have shipped at least one game as a Technical Artist
- Bachelor’s Degree in Art, Design, Technical fields or other relevant training
- Mastery over Maya
- Prior experience creating and maintaining rigging pipelines, focused on facial rigging and implementation of expressive blend shapes
- Previous experience working with Mocap data
- Python, Scripting for Maya tools
Bonus skills would include:
- Comprehensive knowledge of MGear
- Basic knowledge of Vicon Shogun, Photoshop, Substance Painter and/or ZBrush
- VFX and/or Animation experience
- Exhaustive knowledge across multiple platform types and developing to varying limitations and technical constraints
- Superb understanding of human anatomy
- Ability to recognise proper mesh topology and give feedback to the Art team
All applicants should also provide a link to their portfolio of work in the application.
Benefits and Perks
Although this is a fully remote role, it still has all the benefits you would expect in an on-location job.
- Competitive salary depending on experience
- Generous vacation time and paid parental leave
- Health insurance for you and your family at a low cost to you
- Dental and Vision insurance for you and your family at NO cost to you
- Life and Disability benefits at NO cost to you
- Optional Flexible Spending Account (including Healthcare and Limited Purpose),
- Dependent Care Account and Health Savings Account available
- Optional Supplemental Health and Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan with an Employer Match
- Growth opportunities for your career
At Haptic, we know that people-first recruitment is fundamental to our success. We work closely with talented candidates and innovative studios to offer the best opportunities and build the most promising teams.
Operating on the belief that a studio’s strength comes from the team they build to bring their ideas to life, we are committed to assembling the most talented, diverse game makers.
As part of this pledge, whenever you apply for a job with us, one of our specialist recruiters will support you through each stage. From introductions and interviews to accepting an offer and submitting your resignation, we’re always here to help.